Absence & Tardy Guidelines
Healthy Life Long Habits
Being on time is common courtesy. At school, being late interrupts classroom flow and student instruction. As creatures of habit, those habits we develop early, both good and bad, are often difficult to break. It is important that children, while in elementary school, learn the habit of being on time.
Children who are on time become adults who are on time. Being on time, taking initiative, and operating with integrity equate to current and future success.
Advance Notice is Appreciated!!!!
If your child is going to be absent, late, needs to leave early or is going home with a friend and you know a day in advance, e-mail the teacher and call the attendance line at 248-823-3701.
The State of Michigan is strictly enforcing attendance procedures, accountability, and documentation of inconsistent attendance. THE TROY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS REQUIRED TO TRACK AND COMMUNICATE ATTENDANCE REPORTS AS FOLLOWS:
- Students who reach 15 or more absences/tardies will be referred to Troy Youth Assistance (TYA) and/or other appropriate agencies.
- Students who reach 20 or more absences/tardies will be referred to the Oakland County Truancy Officer and/or other appropriate agencies.
NOTE: A referral to TYA must be made prior to making a referral to the Oakland County Truancy Officer
TSD STUDENT ABSENT and TARDY GUIDELINES
Morning: Tardy from AM bell until 90 minutes after (9:10 AM - 10:40 AM). Absent from 91 minutes past the AM tardy bell (10:41 AM – 12:35 PM).
Afternoon: Tardy from bell until 90 minutes after (12:35 PM – 2:05 PM). Absent from 91 minutes past the PM tardy bell (2:06 PM – 4:01 PM).
When a student is taken out of school and returns later in the day, he will be marked absent for a half day if he is gone 90 or more minutes.
- What to do If Your Child is Absent or Tardy
- PARENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF EXCESSIVE ABSENCES OR TARDIES
Please leave a message on the ABSENCE LINE at 248-823-3701 if your child will not be in school for any reason, or if he/she will be late.
The absence line is available between 4:00 p.m. and 9:15 a.m. for your convenience.
Please do not call the main number to report an absence.
When calling, please leave the child’s name, (spell the last name) teacher’s name, day/date, and a brief explanation for the absence.
PARENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF EXCESSIVE ABSENCES OR TARDIES AS FOLLOWS:
- First card marking period – 5 or more absences/tardies
- Second card marking period – 5 or more absences/tardies or 10 or more accumulated since the beginning of the school year
- Third card marking period – 5 or more absences/tardies or 15 or more accumulated since the beginning of the school year
- Fourth card marking period – 5 or more absences/tardies or 20 or more accumulated since the beginning of the school year